I don’t have a whole lot to say about brussel sprout pizza other than, if you like brussel sprouts you will for sure love brussel sprout pizza (REALLY, SHAWN!? Tell me more). Patty and I eat a lot of brussel sprouts. We typically sauté them with olive oil , garlic and parmesan cheese until they are crispy and golden. The flavor is perfect. This is essentially the same ingredients, but on top of crispy white pizza with mozzarella cheese and fresh prosciutto.
This is a “white” pizza, so no red tomato sauce. Instead, I added a little extra olive oil and garlic to the top of the crust—it’s kinda like focaccia bread topped with cheese and brussels.
Brussel sprout pizza essentially came from our brussel sprouts cookbook (yes, we have a cookbook dedicated to brussel sprout recipes), but the real secret lies in the method. I make most of my pizza recipes using a pizza stone , and I swear by it.
For those of you who have never used a pizza stone , you heat the stone up for one hour in the oven at 500°F before baking (If you’re pressed for time 30-45 minutes will do). Throw the pizza in the oven and cook for 10-15 minutes for a perfect crispy, golden finish every time.Print
- 18-20 ounces pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 6 brussel sprouts, stems removed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- Sliced prosciutto, as desired
- 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil , for sautéing brussel sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil , for crust
- Garlic powder to taste, for crust
- Oregano, for crust
- 1/4 cup cornmeal, for pizza peel
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 500° F and place the pizza stone in the oven and let preheat for one hour. Meanwhile, in a medium skillet on medium heat, sauté sliced brussel sprouts in 1 teaspoon of olive oil , salt, and pepper (if you like garlic add extra garlic powder here). Set aside.
- Place a small handful of cornmeal onto a pizza peel and spread evenly, covering the entire surface (this is to prevent the dough from sticking to the peel).
- Roll out the dough into a 12 inch crust and transfer to the pizza peel .
- Top entire pizza with 2 tablespoons of evenly spread olive oil . Sprinkle with garlic powder and oregano. Add mozzarella and parmesan cheese, sliced brussel sprouts, prosciutto, and sprinkle with fennel seeds.
- Slide finished pizza onto a pizza stone and bake for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to carefully watch the oven because all ovens will cook at different rates. Sometimes it will only take 10 minutes to fully cook.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes before serving.