- 8 large sea scallops, side muscle removed
- 4 cups of chicken broth ( I prefer low sodium)
- 3/4 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley, plus extra for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
lemon butter sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- juice of half a lemon, squeezed
For the risotto
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add shallot and garlic. Simmer until softened, 1-2 minutes.
- Add risotto and stir for 1 minute. Add the white wine and simmer for an additional minute. Add chicken broth to the pan ½ cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Allow risotto to absorb most of the broth before each addition. Continue until soft and creamy, about 25-30 minutes. Note, the chicken broth will absorb in about 1-2 minutes after each addition.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir in Parmesan cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley. Divide and transfer to bowls when ready to serve.
For the scallops
- While risotto is cooking, pat scallops dry and season with salt and pepper. Mince the parsley and set aside. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil (affiliate link) to a 12 inch cast iron skillet and bring to high heat.
- Once skillet is hot, add the scallops to the pan and sear for 2 minutes per side or until golden brown on the top and bottom.
- Remove scallops from the skillet and set on a plate. Add the butter, lemon and fresh parsley to the skillet, stirring occasionally until fully melted.
- Return the scallops to the skillet and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes per side. Divide scallops and serve over risotto in a bowl and drizzle with extra lemon butter sauce as desired. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.