My wife worked at a local Mexican restaurant while she was in college and we recently had an appetizer there that was cheesy and delicious. It also had this spicy tomatillo sauce along the sides that another restaurant called salsa verde. Tomatillo verde sauce & cheese dip uses that spiciness of the tomatillo sauce and the great melting fontina and mozzarella cheeses.
If you want to try another cheese, make sure it is a good melting cheese. Some versions of cheddar, for example, do not melt quickly or as evenly as fontina or mozzarella. Great for a Cinco de Mayo appetizer or just a sharing tapas like dish!
Pile the cut cheese into the center of the cast iron skillet. Leave room around the sides for the tomatillo verde sauce. Try not to pile the cubes more than two layers tall or the bottom cubes may not melt completely.
Spoon the tomatillo verde sauce around the sides, depending on your level of spiciness.
Heat under the broiler about 4 inches, or the second to highest rack position, on Low. It will take about 7 minutes until the top starts to brown in spots.
Make sure to let the skillet cool off a bit on the stovetop, on a granite countertop, or on a trivet. Dig in with your favorite tortilla chips straight into the skillet (we sometimes use a spoon for some extra help) or spoon onto an appetizer plate for guests!
Top with some fresh cilantro or scallions.
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese block
- 10 oz fontina
- 12 oz jar tomatillo verde sauce
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch scallions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Start the oven to Low Broil and move oven grate to second to highest setting, about 4 inches from broiler.
- Cut the mozzarella into about ¾ inch cubes. Cut fontina into slightly smaller pieces.
- Place inside the slightly oiled skillet, leaving about ½ inch away from the sides and not going higher than two cubes stacked.
- Spoon in the tomatillo verde sauce along the sides.
- Heat about 7 minutes, or until top of cheese starts to brown.
- Take from oven, cool 4 minutes (CAUTION skillet will still be hot - use a trivet or the stovetop or granite countertop) and then top with chopped cilantro or scallions or dip straight with favorite tortilla chip.