A healthier spin on classic coconut shrimp. Thanks to an air fryer, they’re crispy, savory, a little sweet, and really easy to make right at home.
- 1 pound peeled, deveined, raw shrimp (can also use precooked – see notes)
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
- 3/4 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- salt, to taste
- Hot pepper jelly (for dipping)
- Combine panko crumbs and shredded coconut in a shallow dish or bowl. Mix and set aside. Add flour to another bowl and whisked eggs to a 3rd bowl. Pat shrimp dry with a paper towel and season all over with salt.
- Dredge each shrimp in flour, shaking off excess, then in egg, and then in the panko/coconut mixture. Gently press down to ensure the breading adheres. Set aside on a plate.
- Preheat air fryer to 350°F. Arrange shrimp in the air fryer in layers. I was able to fit 1 pound with some overlap in a 5 qt. air fryer. Air fry for 10-12 minutes tossing/flipping halfway through. Small shrimp or cooking less than 1 pound may cook faster. In general, shrimp cook relatively fast.
If you use precooked shrimp, I would recommend cooking for 2-3 minutes per side to avoid drying out the shrimp. Raw shrimp are just as easy to prep and work much better.
You can remove the tails if you prefer or leave them on for presentation.
- Serving Size: 2-3 shrimp (no sauce)
- Calories: 358
- Sugar: 12.4g
- Sodium: 503mg
- Fat: 12.8g
- Saturated Fat: 9.7g
- Carbohydrates: 28.2
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Protein: 28.7g
- Cholesterol: 305mg
Keywords: air fryer recipes, coconut shrimp