Baked chicken topped with thinly sliced tomato and fresh mozzarella cheese and finished with fresh chopped basil and a balsamic reduction. It’s an elegant dish packed with so much flavor and really easy to make.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast (keep under 3/4 inches thick, slice if necessary)
- 8-ounce ball fresh mozzarella sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 medium tomato, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 8–10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Drizzle a cast iron skillet with a little olive oil. Arrange the chicken breast in the skillet without overlap. Brush chicken with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place in the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160°F and meat is no longer pink.
- In the last 3 minutes, top each piece of chicken with a slice of tomato then a slice of fresh mozzarella. Remove from the oven, drizzle with balsamic and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil.
- While chicken is cooking, bring balsamic vinegar to a boil, reduce heat to low/simmer as soon as it bubbles. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until reduced by half. The sauce may not look thicker until it’s been removed from the heat for a few minutes. A splash of warm water will help thin the sauce if it gets too sticky.
The recipe works best with 3/4 inch thick chicken. Make all slices uniform for the best results. Larger, thicker chicken breasts should be sliced in half to yield two thinner slicers.
- Serving Size: 1 piece
- Calories: 416
- Sugar: 0.9g
- Sodium: 361mg
- Fat: 17.7g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Protein: 61.4g
- Cholesterol: 157mg
Keywords: chicken with mozzarella and basil, chicken caprese