Easy beef and broccoli bowls made with flank steak and broccoli. Stir-fried in a simple and delicious homemade sauce and served over white rice.
- 1 pound flank or skirt steak, thinly sliced against grain
- 4 cups small broccoli florets (about 1 head
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or white rice
- 1 chopped green onion
- 1–2 tablespoons canola/vegetable
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup warm/hot water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Rounded tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger)
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small bowl starting with the water and sugar first. Whisk to combine. Set aside. Sauce can be made ahead and stored in the fridge.
- Thinly slice flank steak into 1/4 inch thick strips against the grain. This part is very important for tenderness. Cut strips into 2-inch bite-sized pieces.
- Cook rice according to the directions on the package.
- Meanwhile, bring skillet to medium heat. Add 1/2 cup water and broccoli. Cook broccoli, tossing occasionally until just starting to tenderize, about 5 minutes. The water helps steam the broccoli and prevents burning. If the water evaporates, add a splash more. Broccoli should not be raw but still a little snappy.
- Transfer broccoli to a bowl and add oil to the skillet. Add steak in a single layer and season liberally with pepper. Cook for about 1-2 minutes per side or until no longer pink.
- Add sauce to the skillet and bring to a simmer. As soon as it bubbles, reduce heat to low and let thicken, about 1-2 minutes. Add broccoli and toss with the steak until everything is coated. if sauce gets too thick add a little warm water. Top with green onion and sesame seeds. Serve over white rice.
Look for the natural graining in flank steak and cut against the grain. If you cut with the grain, flank steak will be very tough to chew through.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups with rice
- Calories: 614
- Sugar: 8.5g
- Sodium: 701mg
- Fat: 17.8mg
- Saturated Fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrates: 72g
- Fiber: 5.9g
- Protein: 40.1g
- Cholesterol: 62mg
Keywords: Beef and broccoli bowl