Beer steamed mussels are steamed with beer, garlic, onion, salt, crushed red pepper flakes, butter, and a pinch of paprika. A delicious and easy way to steam mussels.
- 2 pounds mussels, rinsed and beards removed
- 2 cups beer of choice (blonde ale, pale ale, or NE IPA)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2–3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
- pinch of paprika
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Rinse mussels under cool water, removing beards while discarding any that do not fully shut on their own (these are dead).
- In a large covered saucepan combine beer, garlic, onion, butter, oregano, salt, red pepper flakes, cover and bring to a simmer.
- Once butter has fully melted, add mussels and steam covered for 5 minutes until shells open up. Stir and serve immediately in a bowl with beer broth.
Keywords: steamed mussels in beer, how to steam mussels