Seasoned shredded potato hash browns, crispy bacon, sautéed peppers and onions, and runny baked eggs all served in a single cast iron skillet.
- 1–1 1/2 pounds frozen hash browns, either shredded or diced
- 4 eggs
- 7–8 slices bacon, fully cooked and chopped into 1/2 inch bits
- 1 green pepper, thinly sliced in half circles or diced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced in half circles or diced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1–2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F. If baking bacon, you can add it now for about 15-20 minutes.
- Bring 1 tablespoon of oil to medium heat in an oven safe cast iron skillet. Add peppers and onions and cook, tossing occasionally, until golden and tender, about 5 minutes. Add potatoes and all spices. Cook potatoes, tossing occasionally, until golden and starting to crisp, about 5-7 minutes. You may need to add an additional tablespoon of oil to really golden up.
- Evenly arrange potatoes in the skillet and top with cheese and chopped bacon. Create 4 small impressions in the potatoes and carefully crack 4 eggs around the edges of the skillet, ensuring the yolks stay intact. Sometimes it helps to crack the eggs in a small prep bowl and carefully slide into the skillet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until egg whites are no longer clear. You want the egg yolks still runny! Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.
For this recipe, I used a bag of frozen shredded hash brown potatoes. You can always use homemade shredded potatoes, it’s just a little more work upfront. If you can’t find shredded potatoes, diced frozen potatoes work just as well.
You can easily add breakfast sausage as well by cooking first in the skillet (before pepper and onions) and chopping/dicing. Top before baking along with the bacon.
- Serving Size: 1/4 skillet
- Calories: 484
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 985mg
- Fat: 31.9g
- Saturated Fat: 12.4g
- Carbohydrates: 26.5g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 24.5g
- Cholesterol: 215mg
Keywords: breakfast skillet recipe