The chicken pesto panini/sandwich with mozzarella is made in a cast iron skillet with pesto sauce, tomato, and fresh mozzarella. No panini press required.
- 2 thinly sliced chicken breasts, flattened to 1/4 inch thick
- 4 slices white panini bread
- 4 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 slices tomato (thinly sliced)
- 2–3 tablespoons pesto sauce
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, for bread
- 4–5 fresh basil leaves (optional)
- Thinly slice the tomato and fresh mozzarella into 1/4 inch thick slices. Set aside.
- Flatten each chicken breast using a rolling pin to 1/4 inch thick slices. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat cast iron skillet to medium heat, add a teaspoon of olive oil and fully cook chicken through, about 2-3 minutes per side. Set aside. Take a paper towel and carefully wipe up excess juices (if any).
- Spread 1 teaspoon of olive oil on one side of each slice of panini bread (oiled sides facing the skillet when searing). Assemble each panini right on the skillet starting with one slice of bread, pesto sauce, chicken breast, mozzarella slices, tomato slices, and top with the other slice of panini bread.
- Sear for 2-3 minutes per side, periodically pressing down firmly with a spatula on both sides so the panini sticks together and cheese fully melts. The panini is done when the bread is golden brown and crunchy.
Cook on medium heat to avoid burning panini. It will cook quickly so carefully monitor.
- Serving Size: 1 panini
- Calories: 565
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 691mg
- Fat: 20.1g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrates: 36.2g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 42.3g
- Cholesterol: 121mg
Keywords: chicken panini, how to make panini without press, chicken pesto panini