Simple homemade Bolognese made with gnocchi and layered with melted fresh mozzarella cheese.
- 1 pound gnocchi
- 1/2 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground sweet italian sausage
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 ounce ball fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup white wine (or red if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8–10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Bring oil and butter to medium heat in a large oven safe skillet or pan. Once hot, add minced garlic and chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute. Stir in celery and carrots, simmering for 2 minutes until softened. Add ground beef/sausage and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Use the tip of a spatula to break up the beef into small chunks. Season all over with salt and pepper.
- Add crushed tomatoes, wine, chopped basil, and oregano. Stir and let simmer until sauce thickens, about 25-30 minutes.
- Stir in milk and turn off the burner. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and boil until they float to the top, about 3-4 minutes. Strain and stir into the bolognese sauce.
- Evenly layer the mozzarella slices on top of the gnocchi bolognese and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted. Serve immediately garnished with more chopped basil.
- I like to make the sauce ahead of time (sometimes in the morning) and store in the fridge until dinner. Heat it up on the stove before adding the gnocchi and baking if you do this. This makes dinnertime a breeze!
- Serving Size: 1/4 skillet
- Calories: 927
- Sugar: 5.9g
- Sodium: 1273mg
- Fat: 43.1g
- Saturated Fat: 15.5g
- Carbohydrates: 79.7g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Protein: 46.5g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
Keywords: bolognese sauce recipe, gnocchi recipe