Cheesy baked spaghetti and meatballs is a whole new take on the classic dish. Spaghetti tossed in marinara and baked with simple homemade meatballs with a melted layer of an Italian blend of cheeses.
- 12–14 ounces spaghetti
- 24 ounces marinara ( I like Rao’s)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend (or mozzarella) cheese
- Fresh chopped basil, garnish
Meatballs (makes 16-18 meatballs)
- 1 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1/3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 2 celery stalks, very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 /4 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375℉.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta al dente.
- Meanwhile, place breadcrumbs in a large bowl and add milk, giving a quick stir to mix. Add all remaining meatball ingredients and mix using your hands until fully incorporated. Shape into 1 inch balls or slightly larger and set on a plate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium heat in a cast-iron skillet. Add all the meatballs and cook for about 1 minute per side until nicely browned on the exterior, about 2-3 total minutes, occasionally rotating/rolling. Remove from skillet and place on a plate.
- Remove skillet from the heat and let it slightly cool. Add 1 cup of marinara and add strained spaghetti. Toss with tongs until evenly mixed with the sauce. Nestle the meatballs in the spaghetti and drizzle with an additional cup of marinara. I like to spoon the sauce over the top of the entire skillet and spread a little to evenly coat.
- Top with a layer of cheese and bake for 20-22 minutes. Cheese should just be turning golden. Can give a quick broil at the end to crisp cheese if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve.
Meatballs can be made ahead and frozen. Thaw before cooking raw meatballs. Can also freeze fully cooked. Recommend to thaw fully before making this recipe.
- Serving Size: Spaghetti and 3 meatballs
- Calories: 597
- Sugar: 3.4g
- Sodium: 1045mg
- Fat: 29.7g
- Saturated Fat: 10.7g
- Carbohydrates: 41.5g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Protein: 36g
- Cholesterol: 171g
Keywords: spaghetti and meatballs, homemade meatballs