Chicken pesto pizza is an easy pizza recipe made with chicken, basil pesto, sliced cherry tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella cheese.
- 18–20 ounces pizza dough
- 2 cups, fully cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 6–7 1/4 inch slices fresh mozzarella or mozzarella pearls (8 ounces)
- Flour, for pizza peel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- pinch of salt
Homemade basil pesto
- 3 cups basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
For the pesto
- Combine all pesto ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor or blender. Blend until mixed and smooth. With the motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream until combined. Pesto should not be too soupy or fine.
For the pizza
- Preheat the oven to 500° F. Place the pizza stone in the oven and let preheat for one hour.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a 12 inch crust. Be sure the dough is adequately floured and not sticky. A little extra is better.
- Place a small handful of flour onto a pizza peel and spread evenly to prevent the dough from sticking to the peel.
- Transfer the dough onto the peel. Top with a light coating of evenly spread olive oil. Use the backside of the spoon to spread the oil over the entire crust. Sprinkle with a little salt. Evenly coat with pesto sauce leaving a 1 inch crust all the way around. Add the chicken, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes.
- Slide the finished pizza onto the pizza stone and bake for 10-15 minutes. Be sure to carefully watch the pizza because all ovens will cook at different rates. Sometimes it will only take 10 minutes to fully cook.
- Optional: Once pizza is golden, turn the oven to high-broil and let broil for about 1 minute, or until crust and cheese presents a few lightly charred spots.
- Remove from the oven, let cool, and serve.
Homemade pesto can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a few days and still taste fresh. Pesto also freezes well and can be kept for 3-6 months in air tight Ziploc bags.
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 620
- Sugar: 4.3g
- Sodium: 636mg
- Fat: 6.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.7g
- Carbohydrates: 68.4g
- Fiber: 3.7g
- Protein: 57.1g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
Keywords: chicken pesto pizza