An easy chicken piccata recipe made with thinly sliced chicken tossed in a simple piccata sauce that consists of white wine, chicken broth, capers, fresh lemon juice, butter, and garlic.
- 2–3 8-ounce chicken breasts, sliced lengthwise into equal thinner halves
- ½ cup white wine (pinot or sauvignon blanc)
- ½ cup chicken broth (you can omit if you don’t have any)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2–3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lemons (juice from 1 lemon plus slices for garnish)
- 2–3 tablespoons of capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve over optional pasta of choice (penne or thin spaghetti)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper on both sides. Place flour on a plate and dredge chicken in the flour until completely coated.
- Heat the olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a sizzle.
- Arrange the chicken in pan, sear each side for about 3 minutes until golden (thicker chicken will take longer). Remove from the pan and place on a clean plate.
- Reduce heat to low and let pan cool for a few minutes. Add fresh lemon juice and minced garlic. Sauté about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add capers and wine. Simmer for 3 minutes or until liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add chicken broth and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and chopped parsley. Simmer until slightly thickened and butter emulsifies (If too thick, add 1-2 tablespoons of water).
- Return chicken to pan, flipping to coat with piccata sauce Let chicken warm-up for 2-3 minutes. Serve with lemon slices over pasta tossed in olive oil or with vegetables. I like to drizzle chicken and pasta with additional piccata sauce.
If you don’t have wine, just replace it with water. I’ve also made this recipe with wine alone and no water/broth.
The cook times in this recipe assumes chicken is no thicker than 1/2 inch thick at it’s thickest part. Any thicker and the chicken may take longer to cook. Thinner chicken cooks faster and tastes better. Always use a meat thermometer to ensure internal temp of chicken is 165°F.
- Serving Size: 1/2 chicken breast
- Calories: 328
- Sugar: 0.4g
- Sodium: 591mg
- Fat: 14.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.1g
- Carbohydrates: 9.9g
- Fiber: 0.5g
- Protein: 34.6g
- Cholesterol: 104mg
Keywords: chicken piccata. easy chicken piccata, chicken piccata with lemon butter capers