- 1 lb large shells (not jumbo)
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 lb ground spicy Italian sausage (optional)
- 16 ounces marinara sauce
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3–4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus extra for serving
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch, crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
- shredded Parmesan cheese for serving (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large lidded saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and let simmer for 1-2 minutes. Add sausage to the skillet. Use the end of a spatula to break the sausage into small chunks, cooking until browned and fully cooked through, about 5-7 minutes. Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add marinara, wine, and basil. Cover and let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook shells al dente.
- Strain shells and add to the sauce along with the cream. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes and serve with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
This can be made dairy free by using homemade cashew cream in place of cream. It’s just as creamy and delicious.