- 1 pound penne pasta, uncooked
- 1 chicken breast, sliced
- 24 ounces pasta sauce
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 8 ounce ball fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 6–8 basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- In a cast iron skillet on medium heat, combine olive oil and garlic. Sauté for 1 minute. Add the sliced chicken and sauté until fully cooked through, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients except for the uncooked penne, mozzarella, and basil. Stir until mixed and let heat up, about 2-3 minutes (the sauce will be watery at this point).
- Stir in uncooked penne and evenly distribute throughout the cast iron skillet, making sure penne is fully submerged beneath the sauce. Cover tightly with tin foil and immediately transfer to the oven. Bake covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove foil and top with mozzarella slices and fresh basil. Bake for 10 more minutes uncovered or until mozzarella cheese is fully melted. Let cool and serve.
As a chicken variation, you can sauté sliced chicken in the skillet and fully cook before proceeding with the regular recipe.