A delicious and simple eggs benedict recipe made with avocado, bacon and toasted French bread. No double boiler required.
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 4 strips bacon, halved
- 4 slices french bread, cut 1 inch thick and toasted
- 1 avocado, sliced into 12 wedges
- butter to spread on french bread
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- pinch of ground black pepper
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- pinch of salt
- For the Hollandaise sauce, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper together in a stainless steel bowl. Place the bowl on top of a medium-sized saucepan containing lightly simmering water (or a double boiler,) the water should not touch the bottom of the bowl.
- Continue to whisk. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble and separate. Add the melted butter, whisking constantly until the sauce is thickened and the volume has increased.
- Remove bowl from the heat, cover and set aside until ready to serve. If sauce gets too thick, whisk in a little warm water before serving.
- Fry the bacon in a medium skillet (or bake it) and toast the French bread directly on the oven rack under the broiler, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, begin to poach eggs. Fill a large saucepan with 3-4 inches of water, bring to a simmer and add vinegar. Break each egg and carefully place in the water and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes. Carefully remove with a slotted spoon and set aside (crack eggs into small prep bowls ahead of time for easy adding to the simmering water). There is no need to whirlpool the water.
- Butter each slice of french bread, top with a slice of halved bacon, 3 avocado slices, one poached egg, and drizzle with hollandaise sauce. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve immediately.
If you don’t have a double boiler, use a medium-sized metal bowl on top of a medium-sized sauce pan filled with lightly simmering water. Be careful the water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. The bowl should be heated indirectly.
Keywords: eggs benedict recipe, avocado eggs benedict