Filet mignon covered with a blueberry based sauce, inspired by Acqua Al 2 in Florence, Italy.
- 2 6-8 ounce tenderloin beef filets (roughly 2 inches thick)
- 2–3 tablespoons butter (or canola oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup blueberries, mashed
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (I like Chianti)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 415° F. Remove steak from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, this is to bring the steak to room temperature and ensure your cooking times are more accurate. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter to an oven safe cast iron skillet and turn up high, allow the skillet to become very hot first. Once the butter melts, place the filets face down and sear undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip the filets and sear for an additional 2 minutes. This will give your filets a nice seared edge.
- Meanwhile, combine all blueberry glaze ingredients in a small saucepan (I use a potato masher to crush the blueberries, breaking the skins). Simmer on medium-high heat, whisking occasionally until mixture reduces by half and slightly thickens, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and let rest.
- Transfer your skillet directly to the oven. [WARNING] skillet may be hot, handle with oven mitts. For rare, bake for 4 minutes. Medium rare, 5-6 minutes. Medium, 6-7 minutes. Medium well, 8-9 minutes. Remember, depending on the thickness/size of the steak, the more or less time it may take. This recipe is ideal for a 6-8 ounce portion, roughly 2-3 inches thick. Remove filets from the skillet and set on a plate, Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve each filet topped with 3-4 tablespoons of blueberry sauce.
Cooking steaks at high temps in a skillet tends to get smokey. Open a kitchen window and turn on your kitchen’s overhead vent fan before you start to help with ventilation.
Temperatures for steak
Rare: 120° F to 125° F
Medium rare: 125° F to 130° F
Medium: 135° F to 140° F
Medium well: 145° F to 150° F
Well done: 160° F and above
Keywords: blueberry steak, filet mignon recipe, steak recipes