Simple blackened catfish with a delicious and tangy cilantro-lime compound butter.
- 2 6-8 ounce catfish filets (look for domestic raised) (or your favorite white fish)
- 4 teaspoons (or to taste) blackening seasoning, such as Old Bay
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lime
- olive oil (for grilling)
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- For the cilantro-lime butter: Place butter in a small bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds to soften. Using a fork, mash in garlic, juice from half a lime, and 1 tablespoon of minced cilantro. Spoon butter onto a small sheet of tinfoil, doing your best to reshape into a log, roll up the foil and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Coat each side of the catfish liberally with blackening seasoning, about 1 teaspoon for each side of the filet. You can use more or less depending on preference.
- Lightly brush the grill with olive oil and grill filets for 5-7 minutes per side, or until white and starting to flake (The olive oil prevents the fish from sticking and breaking apart).
- Remove filets from the grill and top each with a slice of cilantro-lime butter, sprinkle with fresh cilantro, and serve with a lime wedge.
Keywords: catfish recipes, blackened catfish