We have covered pizza here a couple of times but that usually involves heating the oven up to 500 degrees for about an hour before cooking. On a hot summer’s night, that is just too hot for the kitchen. So why not grill a pizza?! After a long week, a quick but good pizza is satisfying and being able to relax outside by the grill is a great combo. So I’ve got a great grilled flatbread pesto margherita pizza recipe you can cook and enjoy outside using just your grill!
This is a great Friday recipe that doesn’t involve a lot of work. I do make my own pesto with my own basil leaves that I will cover in a later post, but this is basically all store bought ingredients.
It really is just four basic ingredients: dough, fresh, not shredded, mozzarella, diced tomatoes, and a pesto sauce. We buy a great local pizza dough that we roll out thin on a large cutting board.
Roll the dough out thin with some corn meal to keep it from sticking. It does not have to be perfectly round, and since we are cooking on the grill, a rectangle is a great shape.
After preheating your grill to about 350 degrees, I apply a thin layer of olive oil with some tongs and a paper towel to keep the dough from sticking. Bring the rolled out dough and carefully place the dough on the grates and close the cover.
Cook for about 4 minutes or until the bottom side develops a nice char, but not burned. While waiting for the dough to cook, brush the visible side with some olive oil. Using a large spatula or tongs, flip the dough over and brush on the pesto. If you need to, turn off any burners that may run hot. It is your grill, you know it best.
Quickly add the sliced mozzarella, diced tomatoes, and grind, to taste, a pinch of salt and pepper over the pizza.
Grill covered, checking occassionally, for about another 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. If the pizza bottom is starting to burn, turn off the burners and keep the cover closed. The heat should be enough to melt the mozzarella.
Once the cheese is melted, carefully take the pizza off the grill and slice it up!Print
Easy grilled flatbread pesto margherita pizza recipe ideal for a hot summer night.
- 1 package pizza dough
- 8 ounces roughly mozzarella ball, sliced
- 1–2 diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons pesto sauce (freeze any leftover in ice cube trays for use later)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Slice the mozzarella into thin slices. Dice the tomatoes into cubes. Roll out the pizza dough to about 16 inches or so.
- Preheat the grill to about 350 degrees and clean. Carefully rub the grates with olive oil and place the dough onto the grill. Brush the upturned side lightly with olive oil. After about 4-5 minutes, flip and top with pesto, tomatoes, and mozzarella. Grill, covered, for about another 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Turn off burners as needed keeping the grill cover closed.
- Once the cheese has melted, Take the pizza off the grill, cool, and slice. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 403
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 580mg
- Fat: 20.1g
- Saturated Fat: 7.3g
- Carbohydrates: 44.2g
- Fiber: 4.1g
- Protein: 15.8g
- Cholesterol: 39mg
Keywords: Grilled pizza, flatbread pizza