This recipe is sponsored by Frontier Co-op.
Fire up the grill because I’ve got the perfect grilled lemon pepper chicken kebab recipe for you. Chicken kebabs are one of my favorite go-to weeknight dinners because you can easily throw everything on the grill. One cooking surface for your protein and veggies so no running from the grill to the stove. I can sip my beer, chill, and enjoy the warm weather (fun fact – if I’m grilling in February I’m not enjoying the weather).
I recently stumbled upon some pre-made lemon pepper chicken kebabs at my favorite local butcher shop. I can’t tell you the last time I ever had lemon pepper chicken…and to be honest, it sounds boring. I grilled them, was wow’d by the flavor, and immediately took to the drawing board to develop my own variation.
The secret is lemon juice (of course), paired with a generous rub of sea salt and cracked black pepper. For my recipe, I used Frontier spices sea salt, cracked black pepper, and dried rosemary. Aside from the flavor, what I love most about Frontier’s sea salt and cracked pepper is the granularity of the spices (woah). The sea salt specifically has the perfect gritty texture that is ideal for any dry rub. Table salt tends to be too fine and soaks into the chicken.
The cracked pepper could be the most important element in terms of flavor. Lemon pepper chicken should have a distinct, but mild peppery taste. Fresh cracked pepper will give the chicken a stronger and more pronounced pepper flavor than ground pepper. Side note, these spices are perfect for bringing out the flavors in burgers and steaks too.
The main takeaway from developing this recipe? A course dry rub paired with garlic, olive oil, and fresh lemon juice creates the perfect simple marinade for grilled chicken. Is there anything better to accompany grilled chicken than charred red onion and green peppers? I swear the grill caramelizes the exterior and brings out the sweetness.
Oh yeah and I almost forgot, rosemary makes the world go round.Print
- 3 chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, squeezed
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Sea Salt Table Grind
- 1/2 teaspoon Frontier Co-op Rosemary
- Soak skewers in water for 20-30 minutes before grilling to prevent from burning.
- Cut chicken into large cubes and place in a bowl. Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, sea salt, cracked pepper, and rosemary. Mix well and refrigerate for at least one hour (or overnight).
- Cut red onion and green pepper into cubes and set aside.
- Skewer chicken, alternating vegetables with chicken on the skewer.
- Place on the grill on medium-high heat for about 15 minutes, rotating every 4-5 minutes until slightly charred and fully cooked through. Serve immediately.
Cutting chicken and vegetables into uniform sizes will help prevent vegetables from burning on the grill.