Buttered grilled corn finished with a coating of fresh lime juice, mayonnaise, a sprinkle of grated cotija cheese, and a pinch of chili powder and fresh cilantro.
- 5 ears of fresh corn
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2–3/4 cup finely grated cotija cheese (6-ounce block is more than enough)
- 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons softened butter (room temp)
- 2–3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Chili powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Remove butter from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking to soften. If you don’t have time, microwave in 5-second intervals until malleable. Do not melt. 10 total seconds should do.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat with the cover down. Clean the grates well before cooking.
- Shuck the corn and remove all hair etc. Brush each ear with butter until coated evenly all over. A decent coating is best. Season with salt and pepper all over.
- Place corn on the grill and grill for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Rotate 2-3 times until corn has a nice sear on all sides. Total cooking time is about 10-12 minutes. You want nicely charred without burning.
- Remove corn from grill and place on a baking sheet or large plate. Baste each ear with mayo using the same basting brush or rubber spatula. I like a thin layer of mayo that is just enough to cover. Drizzle all over with fresh lime juice. Sprinkle each ear of corn all over with cotija cheese. Dust with chili powder and top with chopped fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 ear
- Calories: 273
- Sugar: 5.6g
- Sodium: 604mg
- Fat: 14.8g
- Saturated Fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrates: 31.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 8.7g
- Cholesterol: 21mg
Keywords: how to make mexican street corn, mexican street corn