Grilled pizza shares some of the much-desired tastes and textures of your favorite crispy brick oven pizza.
- 16–20 ounces pizza dough (room temp)
- 1/2–3/4 cup pizza sauce or homemade pizza sauce
- 4–5 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 3–4 basil chopped basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for the crust
- pinch of sea salt
- Oil for grill grates
Homemade pizza sauce (makes 1 cup)
- 3 canned San Marzano tomatoes + 2 tablespoons of sauce from the can
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- pinch of salt, to taste
For the homemade sauce
- Combine tomatoes, oil, and salt in a small bowl. Blend with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also pulse a blender or food processor. Add more salt to taste as needed. This will render more sauce than you need. I use 1/3-1/2 cup of sauce for each pizza. For a more rustic sauce, you can hand-crush the tomatoes or use a potato masher.
For the pizza
- Preheat the grill to high heat with the cover down. Clean the grates well. Allow the grill to heat up to at least 600°F.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a circle or oval. The dough should be room temp for easier rolling and optimal cooking. Use a pizza peel or well-floured flat baking sheet for easy transferring.
- Brush the grates with oil using a basting brush. Transfer dough directly to the grill grates (remember, no toppings yet) and cook for 45-60 seconds with the lid closed. The crust should start to bubble all over.
- Once the crust is firm enough to lift off the grill, flip the crust with a pizza peel, large spatula, or flat baking sheet.
- Drizzle the crust with oil and season with sea salt. Add pizza sauce, leaving a 1-inch crust all the way around. Add the mozzarella, close the lid, and grill until the cheese is fully melted; about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and top with fresh chopped basil. Slice and serve.
The homemade pizza sauce in this recipe is an added bonus. It’s my favorite pizza sauce because it’s very simple, delicious, and modeled after Neopolitan-style pizza sauce. It’s a must-try!
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 384
- Sugar: 0.1g
- Sodium: 788mg
- Fat: 11.6g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Carbohydrates: 50.2g
- Fiber: 4.2g
- Protein: 10.2g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: grilled pizza, how to grill pizza, how to grill pizza without a stone