- 18-20 ounces pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 6-7 1/4 inch slices fresh mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- Garlic powder, for crust (optional)
- Oregano, for crust (optional)
- Olive oil, for grill grates
- Preheat grill to medium heat, about 350 to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a large rectangle or oval. This is the best shape for grilling.
- Clean the grates well and brush with olive oil using a basting brush. Transfer dough to the grill (remember, no toppings yet) and cook for 5-7 minutes with the lid closed, or until bottom of crust is golden brown. Pierce any air bubbles that form with a fork.
- Flip the crust with a pizza peel or large spatula. Evenly coat crust with pizza sauce leaving a 1/2 inch crust. Add the fresh sliced mozzarella and then top with fresh chopped basil.
- Close the lid and grill for another 5 minutes-7 minutes, or until cheese has fully melted.
- Remove from the grill, let cool, and slice.
This recipe is ideal for moderately crispy, yet soft crust. If you prefer pizza crust softer, grill for less time.
If you don’t have olive oil, cooking spray or any oil will do.