How to make pizza in a cast iron skillet. And easy technique with delicious results.
- 16–18 ounces pizza dough
- 3/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- 1/3 cup pizza sauce
- pepperoni (optional)
- Salt and olive oil, to taste
- Preheat oven to 500° F with the cast iron skillet in the oven (you want about 20-25 minutes of preheating to ensure the skillet is HOT).
- Meanwhile, roll out the dough into a 8-12 inch crust, depending on the size of your skillet. See note below. You want about 1/4 inch thick crust in the center for best results. Use your best judgement, but you most likely use less than 16 ounces of dough.
- CAREFULLY Remove the skillet from the oven. Spray the skillet with cooking spray and carefully place the dough in the skillet, it’s OK if outer crust goes up the sides a little.
- Drizzle the top of the crust with olive oil and a pink of salt. Add your desired toppings (sauce, cheese, protein, veggies) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until crust just starts to turn golden at the edges.
A 12-inch skillet will serve 2 people, a 15-inch skillet is better suited for 4 people. Cook times should be the same, regardless of size of skillet.
Keywords: cast iron skillet pizza, cast iron skillet pizza recipe