The perfect homemade limoncello recipe made with Everclear, organic lemons, and simple syrup.
- 10 medium or large organic lemons (this is important—no pesticides)
- 1 liter Everclear alcohol* (151 proof)
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 5 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Using a potato peeler, remove the rinds from the lemons, leaving all or as much of the pith on the lemon as possible (the white part). Too much pith and limoncello will be bitter.
- Place the lemon peels in a covered glass container with the Everclear and let sit for 7 days.
- On the 8th day, strain the lemon peels from the Everclear and discard.
- To make the simple syrup (sugar and water), add the water and sugar to a medium saucepan on medium heat. Stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool to room temp and add to the Everclear. You can serve immediately or place in the freezer to chill.
I store my limoncello in the freezer so it’s always very chilled. Because I use Everclear (151 proof), it will not freeze. Do not substitute for vodka or it will become too weak and diluted when adding the water and sugar.
Keywords: how to make limoncello, limoncello recipe