Irish coffee made with coffee, Irish whiskey, sugar, and frothy whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) medium roast hot coffee
- 1.5 ounces Irish whiskey (Tullamore D.E.W. or Jameson’s)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (2 sugar cubes)
- 2 ounces lightly whipped cream
- 1 cup whipping cream (serves 4–6 with 1–2 ounces per coffee)
For the whipped cream
- Add whipping cream to a lidded mason jar or sealed container. Shake vigorously for 45-60 seconds and then check the consistency. You want the cream to be thickened and frothy but easily pourable. If it gets too thick, thin it out with a little extra cream and stir to mix.
- Preheat each serving glass with very hot water for a few minutes. This keeps the drink hotter for longer.
- Empty the water and add coffee and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add whiskey and stir again to mix.
- Float whipped cream by gently pouring a 1/2 inch collar of cream over a spoon at the coffee’s surface (about 1-2 ounces). Serve immediately.
I would not recommend substituting any whipped cream alternatives or canned whipped cream-it’s simply not the same experience.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 4.1g
- Sodium: 11mg
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated Fat: 6.9g
- Carbohydrates: 4.9g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
Keywords: Irish coffee recipe, how to make Irish coffee