Tender and juicy sirloin steak tips marinated in a beer-based teriyaki marinade.
- 2 pounds sirloin steak tips (not marinated)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (for searing)
Beer teriyaki marinade
- 1/2 cup beer (IPA or Pale Ale)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 lemon, juice squeezed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Prep steak by cutting into varying 3-5 inch strips in length. Combine beer teriyaki marinade ingredients in a blender or bowl. Whisk vigorously for 1-2 minutes or blend for 30 seconds until spices and oils are well combined.
- Place steak tips in a plastic container with a lid or a large ziplock bag. Pour marinade over the steak and refrigerate. Marinate for at least 8 hours and 24 hours for best results.
- Remove steak tips from the fridge 30 minutes prior to cooking so the steak and marinade can reach room temperature.
- Preheat the grill with the cover down to medium-high heat. Clean the grates well. Allow the grill to get hot before cooking the steak. Discard marinade after grilling, do not reuse.
- Sear tips for 4-5 minutes per side for medium rare. Depending on the thickness, it may take more or less time. I usually shoot for medium, 5-7 minutes per side. Over the last few minutes, I rotate the tips to sear any non-seared edges or corners so the outside has a nice caramelized crust throughout the exterior. Let steaks rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Olive oil may start to solidify after several hours in cold temperatures. This is normal and should not be cause for concern. Olive oil will return to its normal liquid state when it reaches room temperature.
These can also be cooked in a cast iron skillet on the stovetop over medium heat with similar cooking times. I like to start with the pan temp on medium heat and ramp up towards the end to help develop a nice crust. This also helps prevent early burning.
Temperatures for steak
Rare: 120° F to 125° F
Medium rare: 125° F to 130° F
Medium: 135° F to 140° F
Medium well: 145° F to 150° F
Well done: 160° F and above
- Serving Size: 1/2 lb
- Calories: 360
- Sugar: 8.4g
- Sodium: 650mg
- Fat: 17.4g
- Saturated Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 11.4g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Protein: 35.6g
- Cholesterol: 77mg
Keywords: sirloin steak tip recipe, marinated steak tips