My cream cheese mashed potatoes are buttery, silky smooth, and creamy, and taste a lot like fancy steakhouse mashed potatoes.
- 2.5–3 pounds yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered (7–8 potatoes)
- 8 ounces room temp cream cheese, cubed
- 3/4 cup warm cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed and melted
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Finely chopped parsley or chives as garnish
- Add potatoes to a large pot and fill with cold water, covering potatoes by 2 inches. Generously season water with a big pinch of salt. You should be able to taste the salt in the water.
- Cover and bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes or until you can easily pierce potatoes with a fork with no resistance. Do not undercook.
- Add cream and butter to a microwaveable safe measuring glass or bowl. Heat for 45 seconds-1 minute or until the cream is warm and the butter is partially melted.
- Remove potatoes from the heat and strain all water. Return potatoes to the same pot (keep off heat). Pour in half the cream/butter and mash together (with a potato masher) until smooth and creamy. Repeat with remaining cream/butter.
- Add cream cheese and mash/stir until potatoes are smooth and silky. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve immediately topped with chopped parsley or chives.
These can be made ahead and refrigerated if needed. Heat up with extra milk or cream to soften and regain a creamy texture.
If you add to boiling water the outside of the potato will overcook before the inside is cooked. This can make your potatoes lumpy
Cooking the potatoes in salted water enhances the flavor of your potatoes. The potatoes will absorb the salted water and take on better flavor.
Cook until potatoes are fork-tender. They’re ready when a fork passes through the potato without any resistance or splitting.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 174
- Sugar: 2.1g
- Sodium: 97mg
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.4g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Keywords: mashed potatoes with cream cheese, yukon gold mashed potatoes