Despite being a fizzy classic, I don’t think the Moscow mule is quite as popular as it should be. I’m new to exploring them myself—I’d heard of them of course, but only recently started adding them to our rotation of cocktails. Despite the name, the Moscow mule is an American-born cocktail created by John Martin in 1941 in Manhattan, NY (I’m just as blown away as you are).
The Dark and Stormy (the other popular ginger beer cocktail), is somewhat in the same realm of cocktails but uses rum instead of vodka. The other big difference is the fresh lime juice, which balances out the spiciness of the ginger beer.
Moscow Mule Ingredients
- Ginger beer. Ginger beer has a very strong and almost spicy ginger flavor. Believe it or not there are two types of ginger beer: one is a non-alcoholic soda stocked at most grocery stores, the other is actually a hard soda with alcohol. Crabbie’s is popular if you want a more potent cocktail.
- Fresh lime juice
- Mint leaves for garnish. Really more of a garnish than a flavor element here.
And how could I forget the iconic copper mug? If you don’t have one you should definitely pick up a set. The copper insulates the drink and keeps your mules surprisingly chilled for a long time.
How to Make a Moscow Mule
The Moscow mule is another easy cocktail that’s constructed in the drink’s glass. Combine lime, vodka, and ice in a mule glass and stir. Top with ginger beer and stir again. Garnish with mint and serve.
Perfect for summer, perfect for the holidays, this mule will add a kick of spice for any occasion.Print
The classic and refreshing Moscow mule cocktail consists of ginger beer, vodka, and fresh lime juice.
- 4 ounces ginger beer (alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce lime juice
- Mint leaves and lime wedge garnish
- Pour lime juice and vodka in a copper mug and fill with ice. Top with ginger beer and gently stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint leaves if desired.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 173
- Sugar: 10.1g
- Sodium: 9mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 11.1g
- Fiber: 0.1g
- Protein: 0.1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: how to make a moscow mule, moscow mule recipe