- 2 pounds mussels, rinsed
- 1 pound linguine or spaghetti
- 3/4 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Rinse the mussels and remove beards if necessary, discard any that do not fully close when rinsing (these are dead).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a pinch of salt, and cook linguine until al dente.
- Meanwhile, with linguine still boiling, combine all remaining ingredients (except for the cream and Parmesan cheese) in a large covered sauce pan on medium-high heat.
- Cover and simmer mussels in the white wine sauce until fully cooked and shells open up, about 5 minutes. Stir sauce and mussels to coat in sauce.
- When linguine is finished, strain and stir into the mussels and white wine sauce. Now add cream and Parmesan cheese. Simmer for 5-7 minutes while covered, stirring occasionally until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Serve topped with a pinch of fresh basil, Parmesan cheese, and 6-7 mussels.