How to make the classic old fashioned drink the right way. Bourbon, bitters, simple syrup (sugar cube), and an orange peel.
- 2 ounces bourbon or rye
- 1/4 ounce (1 teaspoon) simple syrup or 1 sugar cube with a splash of water (muddled)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 1 orange peel (or lemon)
- In a mixing glass or Boston shaker, combine simple syrup, bitters, and bourbon. Fill mixing glass halfway with ice, then stir vigorously about a dozen times.
- Strain into an old-fashioned glass over a giant ice cube.
- Squeeze orange peel over glass to extract oils, wipe the rim of the glass with the peel and add to the glass.
You can use 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar if you don’t have simple syrup.
Keywords: old fashioned cocktail, how to make an old fashioned, best bourbon for old fashioned