Spicy chicken enchiladas made in a cast iron skillet with seasoned chicken, black beans, chopped green chilies, green onions, and a Mexican blend of cheese.
- 5 large burrito flour tortillas
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced small
- 2 10 ounce cans mild or hot red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 15.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 1/4 cup green onions, plus 2 tablespoons for garnish, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Guacamole or sour cream for topping if desired.
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Cut chicken breasts into small bite sized chunks. I typically cut into half inch cubes.
- Bring a 12 inch cast iron skillet to medium-high heat and add olive oil. Sauté chicken, green onions, green chilis, cumin, salt, and pepper until chicken is fully cooked. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1/2 a cup of enchilada sauce to the now empty cast iron skillet, set aside.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce down the center of each tortilla, spread 1/2 cup of chicken mixture, sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons black beans, and top with 1-2 tablespoons cheese. Wrap tortillas tightly and place seem down in the cast iron skillet on top of the enchilada sauce.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with a cup of cheese.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, garnish with green onions and guacamole when serving.
My only tip would be to not skimp on the enchilada sauce. It’s what makes enchiladas tender, creamy, and delicious. Look for mild enchilada sauce for less heat.
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas
- Calories: 683
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 717mg
- Fat: 21.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 66.4g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 55g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, skillet enchiladas