Spicy chicken enchiladas made in a cast iron skillet with seasoned chicken, black beans, green chilies, and lots of cheese.
- 5 large burrito flour tortillas
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 3–4 chicken thighs, diced small
- 20 ounces of canned mild or hot red enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 4.5 ounce can chopped green chilis
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Optional 1 chipotle chili in adobe sauce, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Guacamole or sour cream for topping if desired.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cut chicken into small bite-sized chunks. I typically cut into small half-inch cubes.
- Heat oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken for 2-3 minutes and then add green chilis and black beans. Season all over with salt and pepper. Add cumin and chipotle chile powder and optional diced chipotle chili and mix to incorporate.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked (3-4 more minutes). Transfer everything to a bowl and set aside.
- Add 1/2 a cup of enchilada sauce to the now empty cast iron skillet. (Just enough to have a thin coating on the bottom of the skillet).
- Place a tortilla on the counter or flat surface and spread 2 tablespoons of enchilada sauce down the center of the tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of chicken mixture and sprinkle with 1-2 tablespoons of cheese. Wrap tortillas tightly and place seem down in the cast iron skillet. Repeat with the remaining 4 enchiladas.
- Top all enchiladas with the remaining enchilada sauce and sprinkle with a cup of cheese.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes and garnish with green onions and guacamole when serving.
Don’t skimp on the enchilada sauce. It’s what makes enchiladas tender, creamy, and delicious. Look for mild enchilada sauce for less heat.
- Serving Size: 2 enchiladas
- Calories: 683
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 717mg
- Fat: 21.9g
- Saturated Fat: 6.2g
- Carbohydrates: 66.4g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 55g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
Keywords: chicken enchiladas, skillet enchiladas