Classic, crispy chicken Parmesan made in a cast iron skillet with fresh melted mozzarella and Parmesan cheese.
- 2 large chicken breasts, halved lengthwise (to make 4 slices)
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup, plus 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounce fresh mozzarella ball, sliced (or shredded if you prefer)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Cut each piece of chicken in half lengthwise to form 4 thin slices. Using a rolling pin, flatten chicken to under half an inch by firmly hitting.
- Combine bread crumbs, 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese, and fresh herbs on a plate and set aside. In a shallow bowl, whisk water and eggs and set aside. Spread the flour on a plate and set aside.
- Coat the chicken in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip in egg mixture and then coat in bread crumbs, making sure the crumbs adhere and chicken is fully coated. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken slices two at time and sauté until golden and crispy, 2-3 minutes per side. Remove all 4 slices and set on a plate.
- Add 1/2 a cup of tomato sauce to the bottom of the cast iron skillet. Return all four pieces of chicken to the cast iron skillet and arrange with the least amount of overlap possible.
- Cover with remaining sauce, remaining Parmesan cheese, and top each piece of chicken with two slices of fresh mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with basil and bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. Note: Thinner chicken will cook quicker. Serve Immediately with a side of pasta if desired.
Keywords: chicken parmesan, easy chicken parmesan, chicken parmigiana