This post is sponsored by PRE Brands.
Pepper crusted blue cheese burgers are OUT OF THIS WORLD. I’m telling you, arguably the world’s greatest patty (besides my wife).
The method consists of combining garlic, salt, and blue cheese in a colossal 3/4 inch thick grass-fed beef patty and coating the edges in cracked black peppercorns, for a spicy, peppery exterior.
This burger is big, bad, and loaded with flavor. My friend bought the original inspiration for this burger at a local butcher shop. The beef patties were of course formed with crumbled blue cheese and coated in cracked peppercorns.
The Perfect Burger Recipe
This burger needs to be kept relatively simple—the flavor is all in the beef patty. Chipotle mayonnaise, leaf lettuce, grilled red onion and cheddar cheese on a toasted, buttered brioche bun.
How to Make a Pepper Crusted Burger
Season ground beef with spices and mix in blue cheese crumbles with your hand. Form into traditional patties roughly 3/4-1 inch thick. Most burgers are probably about 1 inch thick in the center but tend to taper off around the edges. You want to make sure your patty is tall enough around the edges to hold a nice crust of peppercorns.
Place peppercorns on a plate and roll the edges of the patty on the plate so the peppercorns stick. You want a solid coating.
What’s the Deal with Grass-Fed Burgers?
A lot of upscale restaurants serve grass-fed beef over grain-fed beef. The beef is more flavorful (in my opinion), it’s juicer, and it’s usually leaner. One last perk—grass fed burgers won’t crumble apart on you when grilling. It’s like magic.
If you’re looking for a trusted grass-fed beef that is 100% grass-fed and true to the burger flavor you love, then PRE Brands has got you covered. As a grain-fed burger guy the majority of my life, I can tell you PRE’s beef will not disappoint. Check them out here.Print
- 1 pound PRE 92% Lean Ground Beef, made into 2 8 oz patties (or 3 5oz)
- 2 brioche buns, buttered and toasted
- 2 slices sharp cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 inch thick cut red onion slice, grilled
- leaf or romaine lettuce
- 2–3 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chipotle mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch of salt
- melted butter, for toasting buns
- Combine ground beef, blue cheese, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl. Thoroughly mix all ingredients together using your hands and form into 2 8 ounce burger patties (roughly 3/4 -1 inch thick). Lightly coat the edges of the burger with about 1 tablespoon of cracked black pepper (or to taste). More pepper will be slightly spicier.
- On medium-high heat, grill for 6-7 minutes per side, flipping once, until fully cooked through (for medium).
- Grill the entire slice of red onion for 2-3 minutes per side, separate slices when serving. Lightly toast the buttered buns flat side down. Top each burger with a slice of cheddar cheese for the last 30 seconds of grilling if desired.
- Assemble burgers with leaf lettuce, beef patty, grilled red onion, and chipolte mayonnaise.