I grew up with these as my mother’s version of pepperoni calzones like the one on the right in the picture above. While in college, my affinity for buffalo chicken anything grew. The pub on campus made a good version and when I graduated, I started to make my own version of a buffalo chicken calzone. This is a simple and easy recipe that can be a great dinner when paired with a salad or sliced and plated for a simple game day appetizer. And you can control how much buffalo sauce gets added.
It starts with a simple 18 to 20 ounce package of store dough. If you have your own favorite, use it! On a cutting board, roll the dough out until it’s a rectangluar shape about 16 inches long by 12 inches wide. Try spreading corn meal instead of flour for a crisper, pizzeria type dough.
The filling is simple. Place some shredded cheddar cheese and buffalo sauce along one of the shorter edges of the dough. Top with some cut, precooked chicken tenders and you are ready to roll. Literally.
Gently roll the edge over onto itself. continue adding the filling along that seam until you near the other end of the dough. Do not overfill and leave space near the outer edge (the top and bottom in the picture above) so the cheese and sauce does not leak out.
Roll and pInch the edges and seams together when finished. Some water will help keep the dough together.
Place it onto a pre greased cookie sheet. Place the calzone into a preheated 350° oven for about 40 minutes. About 10 minutes into the oven, top with some melted butter for a really crisp and delicious crust.
- 1 18 to 20 oz package pizza dough (or your own homemade)
- Chicken tenders (depends on your type, e.g. tenders, nuggets, patties, etc, but about 4 long tenders)
- 2½ to 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- About 1½ cups buffalo wing sauce (not hot sauce)
- Heat and cut chicken tenders into ½ inch pieces.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to about 16 by 12 inches. Season with red pepper flakes.
- About 1 inch in from the shorter edge of the dough, place some cheese, buffalo sauce, and chicken tenders into a pile about 1 inch wide. Roll dough over toppings and repeat process.
- When complete, pinch and seal edges and place onto a greased cookie sheet. Place into a preheated 350° oven for about 40 minutes. After 10 minutes, top with melted butter. Let cool, slice.