The official cocktail of New Orleans. The Sazerac is made with rye, sugar, Peychaud’s bitters, absinthe, and lemon peel.
- 1 1/2 ounces rye whiskey (Try Sazerac Rye)
- 1 sugar cube and splash of water or (1/4 ounce simple syrup)
- 3 dashes of Peychaud’s bitters
- 1 dash Angostura bitters
- Absinthe rinse
- Lemon peel
- Place a barspoon of absinthe into a chilled old fashioned glass. Twirl to coat the inside of the glass. Discard the excess and set aside.
- In a mixing glass, muddle 1 sugar cube with a dash of water until mixed well. Add whiskey and bitters and a cup of ice. Stir vigorously for 15 seconds and strain into the old fashioned glass.
- Twist and squeeze the lemon peel over the cocktail to release the oils. Rub the rim of the glass with the peel and drop it into the cocktail and serve.
If you don’t have a sugar cube use roughly one teaspoon of sugar.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 103mg
- Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 9.5g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: sazerac drink, new orleans cocktails, sazerac recipe