A simple spin on shrimp lo mein made with ramen, shrimp, broccoli florets, red bell pepper, fresh ginger, and a sweet and savory sauce.
- 1 pound shrimp, peel and deveined, tails removed (best if raw)
- 2 packs of ramen, flavor packets discarded
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced into thin strips
- 2–3 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 2 green onions, chopped
- sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1/2 cup reserved ramen water
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 rounded tablespoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sriracha
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil, for cooking
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add ramen and boil for about 3 minutes or until tender. Strain, reserving 1/2 cup of ramen water.
- Use the reserved ramen water for the sauce. Combine in a measuring cup or small bowl with all sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat cooking oil in a wok or large skillet on medium heat. Add shrimp and season all over with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute per side or until bright orange/white. Remove shrimp and place on a plate.
- Add veggies and sauté until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Be sure to stir periodically to prevent burning. Return shrimp to the skillet and add the sauce. Let the sauce simmer until slightly thickened. Toss to mix. Stir in ramen and lightly toss until everything is evenly coated.
- Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Serve immediately.
Starting with raw shrimp is always going to yield the best results. Reheating fully cooked shrimp tends to dry them out.
Always buy peeled and deveined shrimp. Peeling the shell off is simple enough but also takes additional steps and time. If you buy frozen shrimp (cooked or raw), you can quickly thaw them by soaking them in cool water for 15-20 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/4
- Calories: 291
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 874mg
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Carbohydrates: 24.6g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Protein: 22.6g
- Cholesterol: 165mg
Keywords: shrimp lo mein, shrimp stir fry with noodles, shrimp stir fry, shrimp and broccoli stir fry