My spin on grilled jerk chicken—a flavor-packed grilled chicken recipe marinated in a slew of spices and fresh produce like cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic, jalapeno, ginger, brown sugar, soy sauce, and fresh lime juice.
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks or wings
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2–1 jalapeno, sliced and seeded
- 3 green onions
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried or fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger (can also use fresh)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients (minus the chicken) and blend until smooth. Place chicken with the sauce in a large covered container or Ziploc bag and mix well. Marinate for at least 1 hour. For best results, marinate overnight.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat and clean the grates well. Grill chicken for 12-15 minutes, rotating every 3-4 minutes until chicken is fully cooked through and nicely browned. Chicken should be cooked until internal temp reads 165ºF. Serve immediately.
While I like to use jalapeno in this recipe, you can substitute with hotter peppers like habanero for more authentic heat. If you’re worried, start with half a jalapeno and taste the marinade before adding the second half. Not all jalapenos are created equal in terms of heat.
- Serving Size: 3 drumsticks
- Calories: 747
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 867mg
- Fat: 36.3g
- Saturated Fat: 7.6g
- Carbohydrates: 6.4g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Protein: 94.6g
- Cholesterol: 299mg
Keywords: Jamaican jerk chicken, grilled jerk chicken, simple jerk chicken, grilled chicken