A simplified pasta alla norma recipe made with roasted eggplant, canned plum tomatoes, fresh basil, breadcrumbs, and grated ricotta salata. Delicious and weeknight approved.
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 2 28-ounce cans peeled plum tomatoes, chopped (reserve 1/3 cup tomato juice, discard rest)
- 1 cup roughly chopped basil
- 1/2 cup coarsely grated ricotta salata or parmigiano-reggiano (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Slice eggplant into 1-inch cubes. Arrange on a greased baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss until coated. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook al dente.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large high-rimmed pan or skillet. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and simmer for 1 minute. Add chopped basil and cook for 30 seconds or until leaves start to darken.
- Add tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and let simmer for about 10 minutes until tomatoes tenderize and soften. Remove eggplant from the oven and scrape into the pan. Toss with the tomato sauce until incorporated.
- Strain the rigatoni and add to the sauce. Fold until fully coated in the sauce. If the sauce seems a little too dry, you can add a little of the reserved tomato juice from the can. This is optional and a preference. Fold in ricotta salata.
- Serve topped with a teaspoon of breadcrumbs sprinkled all over and additional chopped fresh basil and ricotta cheese.
Roasting eggplant on a baking sheet tossed in some oil with salt and pepper shaves off a lot of time, saves oil, and makes the recipe healthier. You can pan fry the cubed eggplant in olive oil until golden if you want a more authentic version of the recipe.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 553
- Sugar: 5.4g
- Sodium: 357mg
- Fat: 18.2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Carbohydrates: 76.9g
- Fiber: 4.9g
- Protein: 21.6g
- Cholesterol: 93mg
Keywords: rigatoni pasta recipes, pasta alla norma recipe