- 2 sirloin strip steaks
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or grapeseed oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup (packed) fresh Italian parsley
- 1/4 cup (packed) fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
For the chimichurri sauce
- Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
For the sirloin steaks
- Preheat the oven to 415° F. Remove steak from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking, this is to bring the steak to room temperature and ensure your cooking times are more accurate. Season both sides generously with salt and pepper.
- Add the to an oven safe skillet and turn up high, allow the skillet to become hot first. Place the sirloins face down and sear undisturbed for 2 minutes. Flip the sirloins and sear for an additional 2 minutes. This will give your steaks a nice seared edge.
- Transfer your skillet directly to the oven. [WARNING] skillet may be hot, handle with oven mitts. For rare, bake for 4-5 minutes. Medium rare, 5-6 minutes. Medium, 6-7 minutes. Remember, depending on the size of the steak, the more or less time it will take. This recipe is ideal for a 16-20 ounce sirloin strip streak. Remove steaks from the skillet and set on a plate and let sit for 5 minutes before serving. This is important to bring your steak to its final serving temperature. Slice and top with chimichurri sauce and serve.
Chimichurri sauce can be made a few hours in advance.
Temperatures for steak
Rare: 120° F to 125° F
Medium rare: 125° F to 130° F
Medium: 135° F to 140° F
Medium well: 145° F to 150° F
Well done: 160° F and above