This cornbread recipe has delicious and subtle maple and bourbon flavor. Think of your typical golden cornbread recipe with a little more caramel and darker flavor.
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter**
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 °F. Grease a 8 or 9 inch cast iron skillet.**
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, maple syrup, melted butter, bourbon, and egg.
- Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined/moistened, do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for about 20 minutes or until top of cornbread is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with butter and honey.
Can also use a 8×8 square or 9 inch round baking pan.
Can substitute with 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil.
Keywords: skillet cornbread, cornbread recipe, maple bourbon cornbread