Classic lasagna made in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. This recipe features a meat sauce, mozzarella and ricotta filling, and a final layer of broiled fresh mozzarella.
- 16 lasagna noodles (1 box)
- 8 ounce ball fresh mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 pound 85% lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 40 ounces marinara sauce (2 24 ounce jars)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles for 8 minutes, strain, rinse with cool water, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine ricotta filling ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a 12 inch cast iron skillet. Cook onions until softened, about 4 minutes. Add beef and pork and cook until browned and no longer pink. Use the tip of a spatula to break up the meat into very small chunks. Discard the fat and add the marinara, garlic, and tomato paste. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until thickened.
- Transfer the meat sauce to a large bowl, reserving about one cup in the skillet. Evenly spread to coat the bottom of the pan. Top with a layer of noodles without overlapping. Trim the noodles with a knife or scissors to roughly fit the circular shape (it does not need to be perfect). Layer with 1/3 of the ricotta filling and 1 heaping cup of meat sauce. Repeat twice more.
- Finish lasagna with a final layer of noodles and another layer of sauce. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with fresh mozzarella cubes, and return to the oven uncovered for another 15 minutes. Broil for the last 1-2 minutes to give the cheese a nice bubbly finish.
- Let rest for 15 minutes before cutting so the lasagna can set. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and serve.
This recipe can easily be made in a standard 9×13 baking dish. In this case, you will likely only need 12-14 lasagna noodles. I always like to make a few extra just in case.
- Serving Size: 1 peice
- Calories: 682
- Sugar: 11.3g
- Sodium: 975mg
- Fat: 26.9g
- Saturated Fat: 10.5g
- Carbohydrates: 71.5g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 37.9g
- Cholesterol: 88mg
Keywords: skillet lasagna, lasagna recipe