My perfect spicy chicken sandwich made with fried chicken thigh, homemade buffalo sauce, blue cheese coleslaw, dill pickles, fresh cilantro, and a toasted brioche bun.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 brioche buns, oiled and toasted
- Fresh cilantro
- Dill pickle chips
- Vegetable, canola, or peanut oil for frying (enough to submerge chicken)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of salt and pepper
Spicy Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (I like Frank’s original)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- 1 cup rainbow coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons creamy blue cheese dressing
- Combine chicken with buttermilk marinade ingredients. Mix well and let the chicken marinate for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours in the fridge. Make sure the chicken thighs are unfolded from the original packaged position.
- Meanwhile, mix buffalo sauce ingredients in a small bowl and coleslaw mix in another small bowl. Keep in the fridge until ready to prepare. Prep flour mixture in a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Remove thighs from the marinade and let excess batter drip into the bowl. Place chicken in the flour mix, flipping to fully coat. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the rest of the chicken.
- Bring oil to 350°F in a medium-sized saucepan. Target medium-high heat and check with a thermometer. Ideally, you want enough oil to fully submerge the chicken. If not, you must flip halfway through. Carefully place chicken in the oil and deep fry for 12-14 minutes. Remove and let rest/drain on a paper towel-lined plate for 10 minutes. Ensure the chicken internal temp is 165°F.
- While the chicken is resting, butter and toast the brioche buns on a skillet or grill. Submerge/toss the chicken in the hot sauce and ensure it’s fully coated in sauce. Build the sandwich starting with the bottom bun, coleslaw, spicy chicken thigh, 3 dill pickles, and a small bunch of cilantro (stems optional and edible).
- Top with the bun and serve with sweet potato fries.
For frying, I like to use a smaller pot with just enough oil to fully submerge the chicken, eliminating the need to flip halfway through. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving and always ensure the internal chicken temperature is at least 165°F. The chicken will continue to cook as it cools. Canola, vegetable, or peanut oil are best for frying chicken.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 766
- Sugar: 19.8g
- Sodium: 3343mg
- Fat: 37.7g
- Saturated Fat: 11.5g
- Carbohydrates: 59.6g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Protein: 27.5g
- Cholesterol: 140mg
Keywords: spicy chicken sandwich, fried chicken sandwich, buffalo chicken sandwich