Fried chicken and waffles is the ultimate savory dish with a twist—spicy fried buttermilk chicken.
Spicy Fried Chicken
- 6 chicken tenders
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons hot sauce (I use Frank’s RedHot)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 32 ounce container canola oil, for frying
- salt to taste
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Remove chicken tenders from the fridge 20-30 minutes before frying. This will help ensure cook times are accurate.
- For the waffle batter, combine the dry waffle ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate small bowl, whisk together milk, egg, butter, oil and vanilla extract. Combine with the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Set aside in fridge until ready.
For the spicy fried chicken
- Preheat oven to 200° F.
- Combine 2 eggs, buttermilk, and hot sauce in a bowl, whisk and set aside. Combine breadcrumbs, panko crumbs, paprika, and cayenne pepper in a pie dish, set aside.
- Score the top of each piece of chicken with a knife, about 3-4 times, diagonally, about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Fit a thermometer to a Dutch oven and add in oil for frying. Heat over medium-high heat until thermometer reads 340°F (this is important!).
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the buttermilk, and then the breadcrumbs. Repeat this process again.
- Place the chicken tenders in the dutch oven (fully submerged) and fry for 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Remove, set on a paper towel, sprinkle with salt and let rest for 5 minutes. Keep chicken tenders warm by placing on a baking sheet in the oven after they have drained.
For the waffles
- Meanwhile, heat up your waffle iron. Grease the top and bottom of the waffle iron with cooking spray and cook waffles according to your waffle iron, or until golden and crispy.
- Top each waffle with 2-3 chicken tenders, drizzle with maple syrup and serve with a pad of butter.
Use a candy thermometer to ensure oil is around 340°F for frying. If the oil gets too hot, it will burn the breading before fully cooking the chicken.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 1344
- Sugar: 30g
- Sodium: 1624mg
- Fat: 44.3g
- Saturated Fat: 20.2g
- Carbohydrates: 128.5g
- Fiber: 7.2g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Cholesterol: 437mg
Keywords: chicken and waffles recipe