Savory, crispy sweet potato hash browns seasoned with garlic, onion, and paprika and pan fried in a skillet until golden.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and grate using a large-holed cheese grater. Thoroughly rinse shredded potato in a large mesh sieve or small holed colander. Rinse until water runs clear.
- Drain the potatoes by placing on a clean dish towel. Fold and wring out the excess water by twisting over the sink. You need to get as much water out as possible so potatoes can crisp up.
- Transfer grated potatoes to a large bowl and toss with garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Evenly mix in two tablespoons of flour to help bind.
- In a large cast iron skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Swirl the pan to spread the oil over the skillet. Place sweet potatoes down in round clumps, about 1/3 a cup per hash brown. Press down firmly with a spatula to flatten. Let cook undisturbed for 2 minutes.
- Carefully flip hash browns with a spatula, pressing again to flatten. Cook for another 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Transfer hash browns to a paper towel lined plate and let excess oil drain for a few minutes before serving. Season with additional salt and pepper and serve hot with fried eggs.
Keywords: sweet potato hash browns