The ultimate savory app. Bacon-wrapped scallops coated with brown sugar and paprika. Broiled for a caramelized, smokey finish.
- 12 medium-sized scallops, side muscle removed and patted dry
- 1 pound regular cut bacon (not thick or thin sliced)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven broiler to high broil. If you don’t have a broil setting on your oven, turn to 500 °F. Note, broilers heat up fast so you may only need to turn the broiler on for 5 minutes before using.
- Find the small flap of side muscle on the scallop and tear it off and discard, pat scallops dry with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar and paprika in a small bowl and mix until combined. if you want more smoke and heat, use 2 teaspoons of paprika. Set aside.
- Slice bacon strips in half with a knife. 1 slice will wrap 2 scallops. Rub each side of the bacon slices with just enough brown sugar/paprika mix to coat them. It should adhere nicely.
- Wrap each scallop with half a slice of bacon and secure the two ends with a toothpick. You want the toothpick to pierce through both sides.
- Place on a greased baking sheet wrapped in foil. A baking sheet with edges is best to prevent juices from spilling in the oven. The foil prevents pan scorching from sugar.
- Broil on high, roughly 8 inches from the heat source for 10 minutes, flipping halfway through. Flipping is optional but I’ve found that it helps prevent 1 side from getting too charred under the broiler.
- Let cool and serve.
Keywords: bacon wrapped scallops, broiled scallops recipe