A delicious and really easy one-skillet recipe made with ground breakfast sausage, golden tater tots, eggs, and melted cheddar cheese. It’s got all the elements of a hearty breakfast in every bite.
- 28-ounce bag of tater tots
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Green onions for garnish
- Optional 4-5 strips bacon, fully cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Whisk eggs in a medium-sized bowl. Add salt, pepper, onion powder, and milk. Whisk and set aside.
- In a cast-iron skillet, cook sausage until browned and fully cooked through. Use the tip of a spatula to break the sausage into small pieces. Drain any excess fat. Use the spatula to gently press down on the sausage, creating a single even layer filling the entire bottom of the skillet.
- Layer tater tots (on their side) on top of sausage as evenly as possible with no overlap. Fit as many as you comfortably fit with a little bit of space in between. Sprinkle with cheese (if adding bacon add now) and then pour egg mixture evenly over the entire skillet. Bake for 40 minutes, uncovered on the middle rack.
- In the last 5 minutes, you can top with additional cheese if you would like. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with green onions, and let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
You don’t have to make this in a cast iron skillet if you dont have one. You can use a similar oven-safe pan or transfer everything to a baking dish for the baking portion.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 544
- Sugar: 1.8g
- Sodium: 1253mg
- Fat: 29.7g
- Saturated Fat: 8.5g
- Carbohydrates: 52.9g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Protein: 16.6g
- Cholesterol: 181mg
Keywords: sausage hashbrown breakfast casserole, brunch recipes, breakfast casserole recipe