A boozy spin on whipped coffee. This is THE dessert cocktail for my whipped coffee lovers out there. Whipped coffee poured over vanilla vodka and Bailey’s Irish Cream. Super simple, easy to make, delicious, and suitable to drink at 8 AM (that was a joke).
How to Make Whipped Coffee
Whipped coffee is made with equal parts of hot/boiling water, instant coffee, and table sugar. Typically all three ingredients are whipped/shaken together until thick and creamy.
My whipped coffee cocktail can be achieved using an electric mixer, whisk, or even a standard cocktail shaker, lidded mason jar, or BlenderBottle. It may get slightly thicker using a mixer, but it’s much quicker and less cleanup to hand shake.
Using a Whisk or Electric Mixer
Hand whisk vigorously or use an electric mixer on medium-high speed for about 5-7 minutes until thickened and creamy, about the texture of whipped cream or Cool Whip.
Using a Cocktail Shaker
If you shake vigorously enough for about 45 seconds to 1 minute, it will thicken to a nice creamy texture you can spoon over the cocktail—just like hand-shaken whipped cream. When I say vigorously, I mean VIGOROUSLY with two hands.
Just to note, hand-shaken coffee will render very creamy coffee, not quite as stiff and fluffy as electric-mixed coffee. I actually prefer hand-mixed because it sips easier and slowly mixes with the cocktail below.
Larger Quantities Whip Better
I would use a minimum of 2 tablespoons each of water, sugar, and coffee to properly whip. You may not use all the whipped coffee in a single serving, but the extra volume actually allows for easier whipping, especially if hand whipping.
What Kind of Coffee?
Any instant coffee or espresso will work. I used Cafe Bustelo for this recipe since I had it on hand for espresso martinis. It must be instant coffee/espresso to work properly. Decaf is okay too.
Pour It Over a Cocktail
Pour whipped coffee over stirred Bailey’s and vodka on the rocks and let the coffee float on top. Honestly, the sky is the limit here in terms of cocktail additions. Whipped coffee could work as a topper to numerous dessert cocktails, espresso martinis, chocolate martinis, a White Russian, you name it. Maybe something with peanut butter?
Tone It Down With Coconut
You can make this cocktail less boozy by pairing with a mix of 3-4 ounces coconut milk and Bailey’s. Still a delicious nightcap with added coconut flavor and more of a spiked coffee feel. Enjoy!
You’ll Also LovePrint
A boozy spin on whipped coffee. Whipped coffee poured over vanilla vodka and Bailey’s Irish Cream. Super simple, easy to make, and creamy. No mixer required.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee or espresso (decaf okay too)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot/boiling water
- 1 1/2 ounces Bailey’s Irish cream
- 1/2 once vanilla or regular vodka
- Heat water in a microwave-safe measuring cup for 1-2 minutes or until simmering. Transfer to a cocktail shaker with sugar and instant coffee. Shake for 45 sec – 1 min vigorously until thickened and creamy. You can also use a whisk or electric mixer on medium-high speed until creamy. Just to note, hand-shaken coffee will render very creamy coffee, not as stiff and fluffy as electric-mixed coffee.
- Pour Bailey’s and vodka in a double old fashioned glass over ice, stir.
- Top with a layer of whipped coffee and serve. You may need to spoon out with rubber spatula and may not use full amount. You can prob make two cocktails with the whipped coffee recipe above, however, use 3 tablespoons each for a little extra.
To whip coffee, you can alternatively use an electric mixer on medium-high speed or hand whisk until creamy. A lidded mason or BlenderBottle also work for shaking.
You can make this cocktail less boozy by pairing with a mix of 3-4 ounces coconut milk and Irish cream. Still a delicious nightcap with added coconut flavor and more of a spiked coffee feel.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 244
- Sugar: 26.5g
- Sodium: 45mg
- Fat: 5.5g
- Saturated Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 29.8g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 17mg
Keywords: Whipped coffee cocktail