Basil butter. Yes, fresh basil and garlic chopped and stirred into a delicious compound butter. One of the simplest ways to jazz up some weeknight grilled salmon. I’m a big fan of flavored compound butter—it’s the perfect topping for beef, chicken, or seafood.
Patty and I were driving home from work last Friday night, debating what to make for dinner. After settling on salmon, we decided to fire up the grill for blackened salmon and cilantro lime butter. Do we have any cilantro at home? Sure don’t. How about fresh basil instead of cilantro? Enter super simple grilled salmon with basil compound butter recipe.
How to Grill Salmon
Season salmon filets with salt and pepper and grill on medium heat for about 5 minutes per side for medium. Served each salmon filet topped with a slice of basil butter. Grilled salmon doesn’t need a whole lot of spices or seasoning other than salt and pepper. The charred finish from the grill creates the perfect crispy, flavored crust.
Basil butter is made by finely chopping fresh basil and garlic and mashing into room temperature butter. This will infuse the butter with garlic and basil flavor. I don’t think I need to go into great detail about the awesomeness of fresh basil, but I will stress how important it is to use fresh herbs over dried herbs for this recipe. The result will simply not be the same.
If you’ve never had broccolini, it’s like broccoli and asparagus had a child. It’s becoming one of my new favorite grilling veggies because it’s easy to prepare and just toss on the grill with whatever you’re making. And as you may know, if I’m grilling for dinner I’m grilling EVERYTHING for dinner. Your veggies better be compatible with the grill or I’m outta there.
More Salmon Recipes You’ll Love
- Salmon with creamy avocado sauce
- Salmon piccata
- Sesame ginger salmon in foil
- Blackened salmon with cilantro lime butter
- Cilantro lime salmon in foil
Crispy, seared grilled salmon topped with basil infused compound butter.
- 2 6-8 ounce salmon filets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2–3 basil leaves, minced
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 6 ounces broccolini
- 1–2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the compound butter, place the butter into a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds. Mash in minced basil and half of the garlic until well combined. Place onto a small sheet of tinfoil and roll up, doing your best to reshape into a log. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season both sides of the salmon filets with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Place the broccolini in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and remaining garlic. Set aside.
- Lightly brush the grilling surface with olive oil and grill salmon for 5-6 minutes per side for medium. At the same time, add the broccolini. Occasionally turning until slightly charred and golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve each salmon filet topped with a slice of basil butter and a side of grilled broccolini.
Keywords: grilled salmon, basil butter, salmon and basil