Basil butter. Yes, fresh basil and garlic chopped and stirred into a delicious compound butter. One of the simplest ways to jazz up some weeknight grilled salmon. I’m a big fan of flavored compound butters—it’s the perfect topping for beef, chicken, or seafood.
Patty and I were driving home from work last Friday night, debating what to make for dinner. After settling on salmon, we decided to fire up the grill for blackened salmon and cilantro lime butter. Do we have any cilantro at home? Sure don’t. How about fresh basil instead of cilantro? Enter super simple grilled salmon with basil butter recipe. I actually secretly love these types of moments. When you have three ingredients in the fridge and are presented with the ultimate chef challenge—how to make a killer dinner that doesn’t suck.
Grilled salmon doesn’t need a whole lot of spices or seasoning other than salt and pepper. The charred finish from the grill creates the perfect crispy, flavored crust. I don’t think I need to go into great detail about the awesomeness of fresh basil, but I will stress how important it is to use fresh herbs over dried herbs for this recipe The result will simply not be the same. The basil and butter combo perfectly compliments the salmon and makes this recipe a melt in your mouth entree. Literally.
If you’ve never had broccolini, it’s like broccoli and asparagus had a child. It’s becoming one of my new favorite grilling veggies because it’s easy to prepare and just toss on the grill with whatever you’re making. And as you may know, if I’m grilling for dinner I’m grilling EVERYTHING for dinner. Your veggies better be compatible for the grill or I’m outta there.
season salmon filets with salt and pepper and grill for about 5 minutes per side along with broccolini. Served each salmon filet topped with a slice of basil butter. Gotta get the grilling recipes in while the weather is still nice, amirite?Print
- 2 6-8 ounce salmon filets, skin removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 basil leaves, minced
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 6 ounces broccolini
- 1-2 teaspoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the compound butter, place the butter into a small microwave safe bowl and microwave for 10-15 seconds. Mash in minced basil and half of the garlic until well combined. Place onto a small sheet of tinfoil and roll up, doing your best to reshape into a log. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Season both sides of the salmon filets with salt and pepper to taste and set aside. Place the broccolini in a medium bowl and toss with olive oil and remaining garlic. Set aside.
- Lightly brush the grilling surface with olive oil and grill salmon for 5-6 minutes per side for medium. At the same time, add the broccolini. Occasionally turning until slightly charred and golden, about 10-12 minutes.
- Serve each salmon filet topped with a slice of basil butter and a side of grilled broccolini.