The blackberry bourbon smash is the whiskey drinker’s mojito. In fact, I used the same recipe as my blackberry mojito and substituted bourbon for rum. Nothing else changed.
I’ve always been intrigued by the whiskey smash—essentially a variation of the mojito made with whiskey (bourbon). Now, I love mojitos but I’m a whiskey guy at heart. Call the blackberry bourbon smash a match made in heaven.
This whiskey smash is crisp, refreshing, and versatile enough for any time of year. With winter looming and the
bitter hatred JOY of shoveling on its way, it’s time to break out the bourbon.
What to Put in a Whiskey Smash?
I experimented with several variations of the bourbon smash and I’m here to tell you the options are endless. Usually, you have whiskey, soda, a sweetener, an acid, fruits, and mint.
You could experiment with:
- Fresh lemon and limes
- Honey, simple syrup (sugar) or maple syrup as the sweetener
- Splash of ginger beer, ginger ale, or soda water for a little fizz
- Fresh mint or basil as the herb
- Blackberries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, or raspberries for flavor
I wanted the purest flavors of the bourbon and blackberry to come through—so I went with a splash of club soda. My second favorite variation was definitely ginger beer, for an earthy, spicy and sweeter touch. I’d experiment if I were you to see what you like best. You can’t really go wrong.
How to Make a Whiskey Smash
They don’t call it a bourbon smash for nothin’. The key to the whiskey smash is the muddled lime wedges, fruits (blackberry) and mint leaves. A wooden muddler will extract the oils and juices and help infuse the cocktail with all the good stuff. Add whiskey, sugar, and ice and shake. Top with soda water and serve in a double Old Fashioned glass.
I’d be really curious to hear what people like and come up with for variations of their own!
You’ll Also LovePrint
A bourbon smash made with fresh lime, fresh mint leaves, blackberries, and simple sugar.
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 ounce lime juice, or 2 lime wedges, squeezed
- 6–7 mint leaves, muddled
- 2–3 blackberries, muddled
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup (1 tablespoon of sugar will do)
- 1 ounce club soda
- Cup of ice
- In a Boston shaker, combine mint leaves, lime wedges and blackberries. Muddle until pulverized. Add bourbon, ice, and simple syrup (or sugar) and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Pour full contents into a rocks glass (no straining) and top with 1 ounce of club soda. Stir and garnish with mint leaves and blackberry.
Keywords: whiskey smash, bourbon smash